Starwind 19 parts soon for sale

Equipment for trade or sale.

Starwind 19 parts soon for sale

Postby crazycarl on Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Our beloved Starwind 19, Sur La Mer, was damaged in a gale force storm while taking me on fantastic 36 day cruise thru the Keys.

When I get home (I'm stranded as the transmission on the Jeep failed and is being rebuilt) I will assessing all the salvageable parts and listing them for sale.

Example: boom(goose neck broken), mast head(mast broke), spreaders, some standing rigging, running rigging(new in '09), bow rail, stern rail, lifelines and stanchions, stern ladder, bow hatch with solar vent installed, anchor locker hatch, companionway hatch, cockpit locker lids, cleats, winches, jib tracks and cars, genoa tracks and cars, centerboard, teak bulkheads, cabin storage compartments with lids, cushions and upholstered shelves, all the teak trim and cabin steps, tiller/rudder and pintles, new ten gallon fresh water tank that mounts nicely in the storage area behind sink and under cockpit, new pump faucet, new deep stainless steel sink, original sink, new CDI roller furler/reefer, original jib and genoa, original main reconditioned by Sailcare in '08, new tanbark full batten main, new tanbark genoa for CDI, thicker 3"X3" compression post, teak plywood table insert, and anything else still usable.

Several individuals at the marina in Florida thought the damage was repairable. I don't have the time or the inclination, but if someone is interested, I will be willing to sell everything together. Including the trailer with a new winch strap, new bunks, keel guides, new tires in '09 and a mounted spare.

I can be reached at vic-sitter@comcast.net thank you
crazycarl
Commodore

Re: Starwind 19 parts soon for sale

Postby shanedennis on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 am

From your personal web site and you postings here, I can tell you have a real little treasure to sell.

Have you posted an account of your trip to the keys anywhere? I am also interested in learning more about what happened in the gale to help me understand more about the limits of our boat (a 223).
shanedennis
Summer Cruiser

Postby crazycarl on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 pm

I have not posted any details of the trip yet. In fact, my wife has yet to read the ship's log. Our Jeep's transmission went out on the way home and unfortunately, we have a court date of the 18th to resolve a dispute with the shop in Tennessee.

I have been working 64 hour weeks and taking care of the honey do payback list around the house. I haven't had the time to ready the motorcylce or our 15' sailboat for the season. Sometimes I think we should just up and leave it all to the kids and sail away!

As for the handling of the Stawind 19 in gale force winds? Incredible. Actually, I was in 2 storms of such caliber. The first was on the 5th night and I thought "What did I get myself into, I'm not experienced enough for this". I weathered the storm anchored north of Boca Chita Key with the anchor dragging twice that night. I didn't sleep at all and my supplies where tossed about the cabin. However, the inside of the boat remaind dry and in the morning, I felt a lot better about myself and the punishment our little boat could take.

The final storm was in Newfound Harbor and the only reason the boat was damaged was because it was tied to a dock when the wind changed direction and she was battered against the pylons. The damage came when a wave lifted the bow and dropped the bow rail onto the dock, tearing the front 3' of the deck loose. Without taut shrouds, the mast came down in two pieces and I was sure the boat was going to sink. The Boat US captain who towed it away from the dock said it was the strongest hull he had ever encountered, and could not believe the pounding it took.

I had encounteded many days of rough water and our Starwind 19 kept me safe and dry through all of them. Oh, of the 29 days I had sailed, I lowered the centerboard only one of those days to keep leeway to a minimum.
crazycarl
Commodore

Postby Slade on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Taking a long shot here Crazycarl. Do you still have any hardware from your Starwind 19 salvage? Particularly the rudder housing, pintles, and the forward hatch? Also the winches, genoa, jib cars, etc.?
Slade
Cruiser

Postby crazycarl on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:12 pm

i do have the genoa tracks and cars, the rudder housing and rudder, i'm not sure abut the pintles and gudgeons, the hatch is gone as are the winches. everything is in storage at the moment, i'll have to go through the boxes to if i still have the pintles and gudgeons.
Live every day as if it were your last, for it may be!
crazycarl
Commodore

Postby Slade on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Wow. Thanks for the quick response. We must be two packrats of the same order ;-).

I'm most interested in the rudder housing and pintles/gudgeons. I had read that the 19's and 223's were the same. I'll take the measurements of the housing to be sure.

I was out plowing snow from our driveway at 0200h last evening so I'm not in a big hurry. I've dug through storage garages myself, so I don't want to put you out right off the get-go.

Let me know what you think is a fair price and we'll go from there. I'm located in central Mn. so shipping will have to be determined as well.

Thanks again Crazycarl

Jim
Slade
Cruiser

Postby Slade on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi CrazyCarl,

Here's the measurements I got off my less than stellar housing:

Height at leading edge: 31"

Width: 2.5"

Depth at bottom of housing: 10.5"

If you have the pintles, great..but the housing is what I'm really after at this point. Still have some snow on the ground but the temps are finally up to where I can get some stuff done.

Thanks in advance.
Slade
Cruiser

Postby crazycarl on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:03 pm

this is what i have for dimensions. also, i no longer have the pintles. carl

[attachment=0]img052.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
img052.jpg
img052.jpg (25.89 KB) Viewed 39023 times
crazycarl
Commodore

Postby Slade on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for the measurements Carl. I just remeasured my housing and sadly it looks like mine is about 4 inches too long. The width and interior dimensions are perfect but the distance between the mounts is too short as well. I was really hoping this would work. Guess I'll have to find someone to reweld it and get some new mounts on the transom to get it the way I want it...or find a 223 housing.

I really appreciate you efforts and willingness to help out...I really thought I had read somewhere that the housings were the same....

Jim
Slade
Cruiser

Postby crazycarl on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Jim,

Sorry it didn't work out. You'd think someone would would have a wharehouse somewhere with an inventory of used boat parts.
crazycarl
Commodore

Postby Slade on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:56 am

Sounds like a good business opportunity...more used boats now than ever. I know the place where I took my boat for some glass work and paint was crawling with folks on Friday. Hope to have everything done in another couple of weeks. Have to wait for the floods to recede anyway.

Thanks again...and if you see or hear of anyone with a trashed 223 let me know. ;-)
Slade
Cruiser

Postby megan49 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi, Carl,
Would you happen to still have the spreaders for your Starwind 19? Mine have gotten up and walked away; i've searched and searched and can't find hide nor hair of them. I used my mast for a ridge pole over winter and removed the spreaders at two sailing friends' insistence, although i was loathe to do so. Should have listened to that little voice that always right....grrrrr.

I also sent you an email today asking the same thing about the spreaders, but not sure if the email address i have for you is still valid, or if my email will end up in your junk folder and get deleted.

I'm still hoping my spreaders will turn up; i would have sworn i put them right beside the boom. The boom is right where i had put it in the fall, but the spreaders are.....??????????????

If you prefer to email me directly, then that would be megan49 at hotmail dotcom. Please put "Starwind" in the subject line, in case your email address has changed and hotmail thinks that your email is spam.

many thanks,
megan
Starwind 19, Retrouvé
megan49
Cruiser

Postby megan49 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Carl, thanks for your quick email reply that you've already sold the spreaders.

I'm happy to say that i found mine last night after all and did a happy dance.

megan
Starwind 19, Retrouvé
megan49
Cruiser

Return to Gear to Trade