Sail improvements

Specific to any of the Starwind Boats

Sail improvements

Postby shanedennis on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi All,
Thought we would share some information about new sails we brought this winter for our Starwind 223.

Our original mainsail was getting a little baggy, and since we kept looking for a second reef point last summer decided to purchase a new one. and get the old one fixed up to use it as a spare. We sent the old mainsail to Sail Care Inc (sailcare.com) so they could clean it and use it for measurement for the new one.
Cleaning the old mainsail: $124.45
Restitching the luff of the old mainsail: $50.00
The new mainsail w/ full battens, two reefs and a sail bag: $987.00
New mainsail cover: $252.00

Our original lapper and genoa are in good shape, but we found them a little too much in some of the conditions we encounter. We bid on a Capri 22 storm jib on ebay, but were outbid on $72 at the last minute. After following ebay for a month, we ordered a new storm job from Kelly Hansons Sails (http://www.kellyhansonsails.com/) for $185 inc shipping.

We will let you know how these purchases turn out!

The Dennis Family
Minnesota
shanedennis
Summer Cruiser

Re: Sail improvements

Postby shanedennis on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:12 am

Spent the Memorial Day weekend shaking out the new improvements to our Starwind 223. The boat accommodated my wife, seven month old son, and I comfortably for three nights on Lake Pepin, MN. The new main and storm jib give us a lot more flexibility for the highly variable conditions we encounter in Minnesota.

We always reef early because it is not uncommon for the breeze to freshen from a calm to a strong breeze within a very short period of time. In moderate breezes we found the stock lappier overpowered the boat, and with a reefed main alone the boat pointed very poorly. In a moderate breeze with the storm jib and a double reefed main we pointed well and got to over 6 mph (over land according to our GPS).

From Sail Care -
- New mainsail with full battons, two reef points. Quality construction.
- New mainsail cover was well constructed and looks like it will last.
- Sail Care also refurbished our old main. Looks nice and feels as though it has much more life to it.
We were happy with the work done with Sail Care, but felt like it took too long. We sent our old main to them in October and did not take delivery of the finished work until mid-May.

From Kelly Hansons Sails -
- New storm jib. Quality construction.
Again we were happy with the sail, but when we ordered the product on Ebay we expected it to be in stock. However after ordering and paying for the sail we were told they were out of stock. Eight week delay in delivery of the sail.

We also added new blue fenders and docklines, a cheap improvement that made the boat look sharp.
shanedennis
Summer Cruiser

Postby pathoran on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Sailcare handled my mainsail last winter, and it really made a difference. Here in Detroit, i almost always use full mainsail and genoa. these boats are easily driven, and i have broached it a couple of times. it's a very safe design, with progressive weather helm as heel increases. My new dock has shorepower, and i'm loving the 110vAC at the dock. Have you made any other mods to the boat?
pathoran
DaySailor

Postby shanedennis on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Sailcare cleaned our old mainsail and built us a new one. Did a nice job on both. We have broached our Starwind 223 three times. In every case, we were caught with too much sail up in swiftly changing conditions. The storm jib reduced this danger for us because it reduces the temptation to leave the lappier up when sailing into the wind in deteriorating conditions.

We replaced the tiller because the original tiller had questionable integrity. We were afraid it might fail when we needed it. We also bought a tiller tender type of device but have not yet installed it. Will report back on that one. Rigging and cabin windows are next on our list.

Like you say, it is a safe boat. It handles the way you would expect it to handle in most cases. Compared to the fin keeled Capri 22s I have sailed it feels a little more deliberate. This deliberateness makes it easier for my wife or I to singlehand when needed and makes it easier for my 10 & 11 year old daughters understand and participate in what is going on.
shanedennis
Summer Cruiser

Postby pathoran on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I replaced my fixed ports (windows) this spring. they were supposed to be drop-in replacements for the originals, but ended up being about 1/8" too large all the way around! as you can imagine, that project turned into a multi-day odyssey of pain! they look good now, and i plan to replace the teak handrails this summer also. I've had great luck with a synthetic varnish from West marine called Wood-pro. very easy to apply, and the little battens for the fuel locker are now brightwork, as is the cabin sole.
pathoran
DaySailor

Postby shanedennis on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks for the tip about Wood Pro. Sounds like you are ahead of us in your refurbishments. Do you have any tips for where we should source our replacement windows? How did you go about the project? Would love to avoid a multi-day odyssey of pain. :)
shanedennis
Summer Cruiser

Postby pathoran on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Beckson in connecticut sold me the ports. allegedly they were OEM replacements. but it took some serious fiberglass grinding to get them to fit. they look beautiful now, and my wife said only one leaked while i gave the boat a washdown this morning! we had a great day on donnybrook, and i hope to get out on saturday morning!
pathoran
DaySailor

Postby jdzimmerman on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm

Where did you get the OEM fixed ports? I need to replace mine. too much chauking etc to keep them from leaking.
jdzimmerman
DaySailor

Postby Diverrick69 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:27 pm

jdzimmerman, Pathoran answered your question with the first word in his post, directly above yours. BECKSON is a manufacturer of hatches and ports, very widely used throughout the industry. I'm sure you can find their contact info with a quick Google search.
I know one thing - indecision may or may not be my problem
Diverrick69
Commodore

Postby goodshipmatedonnyb on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 am

Hello Starwind 22 sailors:

I'm in my second season after catamarans and windsurfers and loving the Wellcraft Starwind 22! Talk about stable.

I have a 140% jib (screecher) that I ran last season in 10+ winds and 2' waves in the Cedarville area Michigan (Lake Huron) and was very pleased. Even had the teenager in the youth group who had never sailed tacking and gybing after 2 hours.

I am looking for the specs for sail size for a spinnaker for this vessel. Can anyone help?

I have a source for slightly used spinnakers (asymetrical preferred) but don't know the full dimensions.

Thanks,

Goodshipmate Donny B
Don and Shannon Bishop
goodshipmatedonnyb
DaySailor

Postby Slade on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:18 am

Got a new North G2 A-spin this winter. Here's the numbers they used for my 223.

I---22.500
J---7.670
P---25.000
E---10.750

SPL---7.675
Py---0.000
Ey---0.000

290 sq ft total.

Have fun...really looking forward to trying it out this summer.
Slade
Cruiser

Postby Oliveber on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Where did you get the OEM fixed ports? I need to replace mine. too much chauking etc to keep them from leaking.
Oliveber
Weekender

Postby Ganapoes on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 am

really looking forward to trying it out this summer.
[url=http://www.kufv.com/]Cheap Korean Clothes[/url]
Ganapoes
DaySailor

Re: Sail improvements and anchor challenges

Postby goodshipmatedonnyb on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello et all,

Just tested a 135% genoa on the 24' Mark II, broached a few times with water over the rail with 20mph winds, but recovered easily; this class is very forgiving.

Bought a spinnaker for Shannon May One for a 26' boat similar size, but haven't had an experienced crew. Anyone have a standard protocol for single handle spinnaker hoist with tiller control locked in place?

Getting ready to put anchor pulley and winch on the bow; 20 mph winds and 3' waves with whitecaps pulls the anchor (made for 10K lbs boat) but pulled out of the mud into the shipping channel. Two anchors fore and aft does work, but still puts the boat side ways to the wind, do I need a third anchor?

Any one else put a wooden extension on bow for anchor chain, rope with pulley and better anchor control point?

Thanks Don Bishop[attachment=0]Side view Shannon May 1 Monohull 20121.jpg[/attachment]
goodshipmatedonnyb
DaySailor

Postby megan49 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:14 pm

I do not use a spinnaker so cannot answer your spinnaker question. I do have a jenny that i use on light wind days. Otherwise, i use my jib and call it good.

I do have an anchor and a spare but to date haven't tested it in conditions similar to yours as so far, i simply sail back to my mooring. That said, is the style of anchor you have currently not the best type for where you typically anchor? Just throwing it out there as a couple times i skipped over the obvious and spent time and in some cases cash needlessly.

I consider myself a new sailor (insofar as doing all the thinking and navigating) so at this point, if i have winds gusting to 25 knots, I've run with just the jib and i go at a pretty good clip.
Starwind 19, Retrouvé
megan49
Cruiser

Re: Sail improvements and anchor challenges

Postby Diverrick69 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:07 am

[quote="goodshipmatedonnyb"]Bought a spinnaker for Shannon May One for a 26' boat similar size, but haven't had an experienced crew. Anyone have a standard protocol for single handle spinnaker hoist with tiller control locked in place? Thanks Don Bishop[/quote]

If you are going to fly a spinnaker, solo or crewed, get a "Chute Scoop", otherwise known as a spinnaker sock. Run all your lines aft. If you are using a poled chute, you may be able to have it pre-rigged, or you may want to rig at the time of setting. Once all lines are rigged (and double checked), you can hoist the chute in the sock, (actually you can do this first, then rig the lines) raise the pole, and then set the chute by raising the sock. Then just trim with the sheets. To douse, ease the sheets and pull the sock back down, then deal with the pole. Personally, if I were going to singlehand, I would go with a cruising chute, with no pole. Far simpler, safer, and less expensive. With proper setup, there is no need to leave the cockpit.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick
I know one thing - indecision may or may not be my problem
Diverrick69
Commodore

Return to The Starwind Boats