rigging advice

Specific to any of the Starwind Boats

rigging advice

Postby caymandj on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm

OK, a 19'. Is there a better way to rig for single handed. Or is it already that way? I am ignorant I know.

Re: rigging advice

Postby DockMaster on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm

I have single handed my Nineteen just as she came from the factory with no problems. She has the factory 150% genoa and winches I do pick my days on Lake Erie when up there. Have had a few rough sails even with crew. I added a boomvang, just to give better sail shape and performance. I single hand a cruising spinaker with a sock in light air. Because there is no pole and is a sock, it a fun sail to fly. I make sure all lines are free before I leave the dock (run the sock up the haylard), if I am going to fly the spinaker.

Dock lines are run aft and tied together with a lovers knot so I can control bow and stern from where ever at a dock. I know on my trailer (TeeNee) when the ports are over the wheel fenders, I have her in position. I added keel guides to center her on the trailer centerboard. The trailer came with a longer tounge too. These are things you observe as you work with the boat.

Mainly the boats can all be singlehanded (including the 27) with little additions and some planning. It gets easier the bigger the boat because you have the boat doing the work.

Main thing... work out a system which works for you and you will find she is very good for crewed or singlehand. S

Re: rigging advice

Postby Jgstreed on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm extra cautious when alone on my S19, so I often have one reef in the main if the wind feels even bit fluky. My jib (working, not big) is on a furler so that also helps when I get anxious. On a day with a steady breeze, I can manage the full rig on my own and enjoy a wonderful sail. Of course, docking lines are left in place and let outside the stays for easy use. I also keep my PFD on at all times...just in case. I'm also the type who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street...

Fair sailing!
Transient Docker

Return to The Starwind Boats