my boat was hit by lightening sunday

Specific to any of the Starwind Boats

my boat was hit by lightening sunday

Postby bkafer on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm

So its raining really hard and its a nasty day.
The phone rings, its the person I bought my boat from.
she says the marina called her , the boat was hit by lightening and sparks were coming from the top of the mast. 3 people saw it get hit.
why I didn't get called is beyond me but any how, I go up stairs, get my wallet and make a side trip into the bathroom
where I see water coming in thru the ceiling ( the bathroom is new 2 years ago) so the day is getting worse.
I next head to the shop in the basement to get a fire extinguisher, a bunch of wire and volt meter and wrenches ( for the batteries)
I step off of the bottom step and the floor has a 1/2 inch of water on it. I have french drains and sump pump which is running non stop . (great the day just got even better)
Next out into the car for the hour ride to the bay , and its one accident after another took almost 2 hours( thats how my day was going) and my mind is racing thinking how the GPS is fried and the radio is fried and the electronics in the motor is fried.
Row out to the boat, all looks fine, the radio antenna doesn't look so good and the windex is at a strange angle.
I start checking things, the radio comes on but just static. The lights don't work. The gps works and the motor starts.
depth finder has no power to it neither does the knot meter or the compass lights. I check then replace the fuse but nothing.
I think thelightening must have hit near the boat and somehow I got some of that charge running thru my mast
I think if it was a direct hit, nothing would have worked.
I spent today charging batteries, reconnecting the inverter , The water in the sink wasn't working so I fixed that.

didn't get the radio fixed or the electric to the gauges, but thats for another day.

so thats the joys of owning a boat.

The basement is dry now and I can't see why I had water coming in thru my roof, the leak was near the edge of the skylight
and maybe the wind was driving the water under the vent cause it was a NasTY DAY!
Summer Cruiser

Re: my boat was hit by lightening sunday

Postby mikebeavers on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Would some sort of a grounding wire attached to the base of the mast and run into the water ground the boat?

Postby rwr0220 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 pm

I was told by an old sailor that he wraps a piece of chain around the mast and throws the loose endover the side as a lightning rod..??

Postby ssurfit on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:58 am

Clamping a 4' piece of #6 0r #8 wire with a zinc on one end to each of your upper shrouds, forestay and backstay with the other ends in the water would form a type of Faraday cage. I've never tested it, but in theory it should work.

Return to The Starwind Boats