223 rudder kick up

Specific to any of the Starwind Boats

223 rudder kick up

Postby sparrwind on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:42 pm

I have a problem with rudder kick up when sailing hard on my 1985 223.I have to head up and push it back down which takes the fun out of sailing. I have reversed the tightening bolt in hopes that that will stop it from loosening but that helped very little. I don't have the control lines that are used to help raise and lower the blade but I can't imagine that these would be strong enough to hold the rudder down. I have the photos from the PDF files but they are not very clear about how these are attached and if any one can send photos or a drawing of how these are attached I would appreciate it. Also, in heavy air the boat wants to round up although in light to moderate air it points very well. I use the down-haul, out-haul and boom vang in an effort to flatten the main but I suspect that this old sail is just too deep. I back off some in this condition but that only helps a little, the boat should be able to power off the wind just fine and not give up speed.The jib I was using was the 100%. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Don

Re: 223 rudder kick up

Postby Diverrick69 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:45 am

You might try reading the Starwind 19 rigging manual that is posted in the files section of the main site. I think the rigging of the rudder is the same for a 19 and a 223. It's explained pretty clearly there. Page 14, I believe.

Re: 223 rudder kick up

Postby John on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:51 pm

My 223 has a hole in the tiller in which a line from the forward part of the rudder runs to the top of the tiller forward of the hole. The line is secured with a jam cleat. There is also a line from the back of the rudder to the back of the tiller to lift the rudder. These secure the rudder well in either position.

John in FL

Return to The Starwind Boats