Starwind 22 Mark III 1983 launch May 2011

Specific to any of the Starwind Boats

Starwind 22 Mark III 1983 launch May 2011

Postby goodshipmatedonnyb on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello everyone,

Finally after two years the treasure found in the upper pennisula of Michigan swamp with trees growing through the trailer and around "das bot" is presentable. Photos are of the "Shannon May 1" in its berth at Riverside Marina and Resort located in Barbeau MI on the St. Mary's River (file size too large - email me if you desire to see the photos).

Three sails (main, jib and 180% screecher) and hull just fine; a little dicey in 20+ winds with the screecher, but no water over the rails yet. Still have to finish installing marine radio, depth finder and stereo, have charts and GPS working fine. Using 1952 Evinrude 15HP outboard at 40% throttle and it starts like the sun everyday/everytime (6 months to calibrate and adjust).

Working Great Lakes (every body of water around MI) so far Superior, Huron, Michigan mostly within 5 miles of land.

Any body put on a bowsprit (aluminum 4') and using a spinaker yet?

Don Bishop

Re: Starwind 22 Mark III 1983 launch May 2011

Postby Sue on Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:36 pm

I have a cruising spinaker with a sock on my Nineteen. These do not require a pole but give you all the sail cloth in light air. I run it up my jib halyard and the sheets come back to the stern cleats. I never got around to adding the blocks and hardware. It is fun to fly and with the sock I can single hand it. I carefully rig it, and coil it in the sail bag at the house. There are lots of light weight lines for the sock. On the boat, I then launch it from the forward hatch. When I douce it, I bring the sock down and then drop every back down the hatch. I do not have a roller furling jib so the 110 or 150 gets sail tied/bungied to the liveline before launching the spinaker. If you are considering the spinaker get one. The sock makes the handling a breeze and the Nineteen is wonder to sail with the spinaker in light air.

Having sailed a 22, I would expect her to be fun with the sail too. Be sure to talk to several sailmakers about the performance and cloth weight. I have never sailed her with a spinaker but she is a racing hull, so I would expect the same kind of improved performance I see with my Nineteen in light air.

Good Luck S

Return to The Starwind Boats