Any Starwind 19s on Green Bay?

Questions about Cruising in General

How to get Started

Any Starwind 19s on Green Bay?

Postby Jgstreed on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Greetings, All:

I'm based in Green Bay and have my 19 moored in Neenah. I've enjoyed sailing on Lake Winnebago (big enough to challenge me but not so big that I feel threatened). I'm anticipating putting in at Green Bay and sailing on the Bay of Green Bay, heading toward Sturgeon Bay in Door County. Bigger pond! Anyone have any experience with this relatively light displacement (1,350 lb.) boat on waters like that?

Thanks!

Jim Streed
Starwind 19
Green Bay, WI
Jgstreed
Transient Docker

Re: Any Starwind 19s on Green Bay?

Postby crazycarl on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Jim!

I've always wanted to sail the Door County area. I thought a trip around the penisula would be a nice sail. Do you happen to know if the bridges across the southern canal linking the bay to Lake Michigan are tall enough to accomodate the 19's mast?

Carl
crazycarl
Commodore

Re: Any Starwind 19s on Green Bay?

Postby Jgstreed on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Carl:
I kept my boat on Winnebago this summer, so did not get any Bay of Green Bay sailing done. I do know, though, that the "cut" you refer to between the Bay and Lake Michigan now has three bridges to contend with. Here's a URL to the NOAA chart for the area: http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14919.shtml

I'm not sure I would take the 19 onto Lake Michigan alone, if at all. It can get rough. Still, here's my take on the situation you're asking about:

Coming from the Lake Michigan side, the first bridge is the Hwy 42 bridge. It's plenty tall enough (42 feet) to clear the 19's mast. That will get you into the city of Sturgeon Bay and a number of marinas where you can tie up and take a break. The second bridge was just opened recently and the chart does not list a clearance, but the third bridge, the Michigan Street Bridge, is shown at 14 vertical feet, so I expect the new one is not much higher. You would need to have them opened to pass into the Bay of Green Bay. Fortunately, there is a lot of recreational traffic through there, so you can get in line and scoot through (under power is the surest way).

Once through the bridges and onto the Bay, you would go left (south) to the City of Green Bay or right (north) to the scenic areas of Door County.

Good luck!
Jim
Jgstreed
Transient Docker

Return to Cruises in general...