It's almost time!

Tales from 50 Miles Off Shore

It's almost time!

Postby crazycarl on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 am

After 2 years of planning (with no vacations and a lot of overtime) I've only a few weeks before I set sail for the Bahamas in our Starwind 19.

I've equipt the boat with a new VHF radio linked to a GPS chartplotter, map chip of the Bahamas, depth sounder, new marine wiring thru out, 2-deep cycle batteries under the V-berth, an onboard 110 volt battery charger, a 4hp O/B with an alternator for charging the batteries, 2-12-volt receptacles, L.E.D. masthead anchor light, new transom deck plate, 10 gallon water tank, new pump faucet, new deep sink, bilge pump, emergency hand pump, CDI roller furler/reefing, new main and 150% genoa, ossilating fan, new beefier compression post, new ports, new electrical panel, dual battery meter, battery switch, solar vent, anchor chocks, new thru hulls, 1/2" X 150' anchor rode, 3/8" X 150' anchor rode, 6' X 5/16" chain, 10' X 5/16" chain, danforth, navy, and 2-chene anchors,
2-solar/crank lanterns, solar/crank Eton radio, 2-self inflating life jackets, 2-rearming kits, a traditional life jacket, handheld VHF, radar reflector, 2-7 gallon water containers, 1-6 gallon water container, 9' inflatable dinghy, 100' 12 gauge extension cord (if I rent a slip), solar shower, tarp, camp shovel, 2-fire extinguishers, a rigging knife, tool kit, first aid kit, quarentine and Bahama flags, passport, customs paperwork, dry bags, fiberglass resin, cloth, mixing cups, and sticks, large first aid kit, off-shore flare kit, a SPOT messenger to let the wife track my where abouts, snorkel gear, and the usual cameras and such.

I still have the daunting task of shopping for provisions as all meals will be aboard or on day trips.

I'll purchase up to date charts when I arrive at my jumping off point.

OH...I couldn't undertake such an adventure without a fresh paint job on both the deck and hull.
crazycarl
Commodore

Re: It's almost time!

Postby DockMaster on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Carl, You have certanily done your homework. She is outfited to the degree the big boats go. The 50 miles is not hard to do. Be sure to "pick" your day. One of the other Nineteens did the crossing in the earily 90's and only added an AutoHelm autopilot to what he sailed with on Lake Erie (as I remember). The 18 shoal draft will let you, more or less, get in places the big boat dingy to.

Get a copy of The Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas since it will tell you about all the anchorages and towns. http://yachtsmansguide.com/store/index.php It is the equivalent to the Guide for running the ICW. You may want to find it here in the states since most things in the Bahamas are expensive (shipped in from FL). IF things have not changed, the ranges can be a yellow house and sidewalk into Hope Town but the snorkling is wonderful off Chub Cay (Mamma Rhoda Rock - WX allowing). Wardrick Wells is the very best snorkling but the anchorage is a challenge. Water is the big expense. Shower off the dingy and then wiped down with a damp wash cloth to get the salt off were great.

Be sure to keep us posted. The Marinas now may have WiFi from what I read on the Liveaboard posts. I will add a Bahamas Topic to the Cruising section to make it easy.....

Very Fair Winds and Big Blocks S
DockMaster
DockMaster

Re: It's almost time!

Postby goodshipmatedonnyb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 am

Wow, thanks for the detailed prep work. I'm getting my Starwind 22 Mark III ready, and I have a whole bunch more electrical and electronics work to do. How did you mount the LED mast light at the top?

What about the antenna mount on the mast? My cables are shredded inside the mast, and I may have to run the cables up the side of the mast.

Did you get a spinaker for your 19 and how did you set it up?

Thanks
goodshipmatedonnyb
Don Bishop
email : dandsbishop2290@peoplepc.com
goodshipmatedonnyb
DaySailor

Return to Bahama Cruising